Tuesday, April 16, 11:30 am – 12:30 pm, The Arizona Senior Academy Building
Making the final ASA appearance of their two-year residency at the University of Arizona, the Fred Fox Graduate Wind Quintet will perform works of the 20th century master Paul Hindemith, American composer David Maslanka, and Mexican composer Eugenio Toussaint.
Members of the Graduate Wind Quintet are chosen by competitive audition and have come to the Fred Fox School of Music from some of the world’s leading music schools to perform and compete internationally, bringing their rich and diverse backgrounds of educational and professional experience to the program. The current members have come together from far flung locations in the United States and across the world.
- Clarinetist Baiyu Li graduated from Sichuan Conservatory of Music. He won Third Prize in both the First Hong Kong International Clarinet Competition and the Urbel Clarinet Competition.
- Flutist Ivo Dae-Song Shin de Souza comes from Brazil and graduated from Rio Grande do Norte Federal University. He has also taught flute for Brazil’s National Program of Access to Technical Education and Employment.
- Oboist Monserrat Garcia Campos graduated from the National Autonomous University of Mexico, and furthered her music studies in Klagenfurt, Austria as part of the Landen Konservatorium exchange program. She has also been principal oboe for the Michoacan Symphony Orchestra as well as a professor in the Las Rosas Conservatory.
- Bassoonist Jacob Fernandez hails from Massachusetts and graduated from Lawrence University. He was privileged to perform in the world premiere of “Ataraxis 2.3” for bassoon and electronics by Isaac Mayhew.
- French hornist Anne Cotin, a native of Murrieta, CA, graduated from the University of California Santa Barbara, where she performed with the University Chamber Orchestra, UCSB Wind Ensemble, and Maurice Falkner Brass Quintet.
Written by Leslie Nitzberg, Academy Village Volunteer